|Last Will and Testament of Harry McGlenn
of Clinton County Iowa
|Return to list of wills|
|Know all men by these presents, that I Harry McGlenn of the City and County of Clinton in the State of Iowa do hereby make declare and publish this my last will and testament in words and figures following to wit:
1. I hereby revoke all former wills by me made.
2. I hereby give bequeath and devise to my wife Mary C. McGlenn the east twenty (20) feet of Lot eighteen (18) and all of Lot nineteen in block three (3) in Flournoys First Addition to the City of Clinton being the homestead where I live together with all the household goods and chattels in or about the same including the horse, wagon and harness and any other chattel property there may be that I own, to have and to hold the same absolutely forever.
3. All the rest and remainder of my property that I now own or may hereafter acquire real and personal of every description I hereby give, bequeath and devise to my wife said Mary C. but to be held by her only in trust for the use and benefit of my three children now living with me or the survivors of them and to be expended for them for their board, clothing, education and benefit in such manner and at such times as my said wife may deem best and I hereby authorize and empower my said wife to appoint a successor to her as trustee for said children by her will or otherwise and impose such restrictions and require such security of such successor as she may deem best.
4. I hereby appoint my said wife sole executrix of this my last will and testament and hereby relieve here from giving any bond as such executrix or as trustee for my said children as aforesaid and hereby authorize and empower her as such executrix or trustee for my said three children to sell and convey as such executrix or trustee as the case my require any and all property here by conveyed to here absolutely or as trustee without any order or approval of any court and to make execute and deliver and deeds or conveyances that may be necessary or proper in the premises and so far as the trust property is concerned, she is hereby authorized to use the proceeds and invest and re-invest the same from time to time for the benefit of my said children as hereinbefore specified.
5. The provision herein and hereby made for my said wife is to be in lieu of dower or widow’s share homestead and exempt property but not in lieu of support; and I give bequeath and devise to her for her support for the term of one year after my death the sum of five hundred dollars to be dedicated and taken by here from any moneys or notes I may have if sufficient or if necessary and of any other property that would otherwise by held in trust as aforesaid, but in no case is such support or any debts or expenses to be taken from the property herein devised to her.
Witness my hand this 18th day of July 1888.
Harry (X) McGlenn
Signed and declared by the said Harry McGlenn as and for his last will and testament in our presence who at his request and in his presence and in the presence of each other have signed our names as witnesses thereto the same day.
C. W. Chase
Schiller Hosford }Witnesses
State of Iowa }
Clinton County } SS
I William Kreim, clerk of the District Court in and for said County do hereby certify that on this day at the Sept. Term A. D. 1888 of said Court the will and instrument in writing hereunto annexed and bearing date in the 18th day of July 1888 was duly proved before and allowed by said court as and for the last will and testament of the real and personal estate of Harry McGlenn late of said County deceased and was by said Court ordered to be recorded as such will and testament. In witness whereof I have hereunto at my hand and affixed the seal of the court at my office in Clinton in said County this 13th day of Sept A. D. 1888.
Seal – William Kreim, Clerk