HOME REMODEL - January 2007
Roof, Paint, Decisions
To give you a little background on these next pictures and the thoughts and problems that we've encountered recently is probably best so that you can understand what is happening here.

When our plans were originally drawn up by the Architect, they included raising the pitch of the roof on the existing part of the house.  Due to the bids we received for the whole remodel, they were way out of our price range.  So one of the concessions that we had to make, was to leave the existing roof the way it was, and dry wall the interior open beam ceiling that would give us an area for new electric, water pipes and insulation. 

We had shingles on the old part of the house and would put shingles on the addition and hot mop or something called torchdown on the fairly flat garage.  With all the walking on the roof necessary for the addition and the discovery that the old part of the roof was actually 18 years old (time sure does fly) we opted to replace the roofing on the whole house and eliminate the drywalling of the open beam ceiling.  After much discussion and input from a couple of roofing companies we discovered that existing roof didn't have the proper pitch on it to have shingles and in reality the ones on the house today, were not legal or the laws had changed.  So, our choice was to use the torchdown roof like the garage while the new addition would have the shingles, making it look like an obvious addition, or raise the pitch of the old roof and put shingles on it to match the rest of the house.  We opted to raise the pitch, use shingles and put the insulation there.   Not exactly like the original plans, but something inbetween.
Here they are checking out the roof.  Our "pod" in the driveway so that the garage could be emptied but we would still have access to tools,etc.  Those things that men can't seem to do without.
In addition to the roof being raised, we decided to remove those windows you see here up close to the roof and stucco over the opening and drywall inside.
As a part of the process, the old eaves would be cut off flush with the house and new eaves would be built as a part of the new roof.  This left some gaps around where the wall meets the roof.  There is also a little ledge that is there which does nothing but catch dust.  Note our temporary electric hookup hanging from the ceiling in the back left corner..
To close up that space they installed pieces of wood, leaving enough room for the drywall to be extended up to the ceiling.
Then a foam insulation was put between the outside and inside piece of wood to really seal it up and help with the insulation.
Here a conveyor type system is run from the roofing truck to the top of the house to get all the roofing material up on the roof.  It then had to be hand carted back to the addition.
Here the framer is cutting off the overhang so the pitch of the roof can be changed.
Next